Friday, July 3, 2009

BCBR Day 5





I woke up EARLY this morning, not a good sleep. The guys had good night sleep and seem pretty rested and stoked on the day ahead. The usual routine, the boys eat way to much and prep all the bottles and gel and today a treat, dates and pineapple!! Make everyone jealous at the aid station!! Good call, psychological warfare never fails. Get the boys all prepped and set up, which involves unloading bikes and wishing them a great day. I am praying for a great day as I know how rank yesterday was. Talk with Mical a bit, telling her I’m stoked to ride and wish her and Jeff a great day as well and send them on their way. I go around site with cam for a bit, find a great spot on a cargo bin out back and I hope that my camera has smartened up, but I doubt that it has! (its probably operator error)Cool start as they have to wrap around the corner of a school in the gravel and it kicks up a gnarly dust storm. They all rip by and I maneuver off this container and back to the hot rod. On my way to Gibsons now, hopefully can get a ride in. Or what is classified a ride these days. Stop and grab a doubleshortlong and hit the road. Many thoughts in mind as I roll down the highway, seeing great photos all over but feeling uninspired. Make it ok to the terminal, Find a spot and unload some crap to get at my bike to see if robs rotor will be ok and squeak free on my wheel. Fingers crossed I reassemble and yes, its all good. No power but no squeak. I can live with that. Talk with the fellas from DCM Chrome and they are blue plates so they are just spinning around. They go on ahead as I get ready and eat a lil. Gonna be hooooot today. A lil farting around as I look for the start, wasting time but legs spinning so not really wasting. Finally climb a pisser of a hill which is what I needed to find the end of the single track. Creek bed climb on Mary doesn’t usually turn me on but right now I don’t really care!! Climb for about an hour with the DCM boys, chatting about how awesome they think it is here. I have a hard time disagreeing with them. Thinking Mcgrath and Sheppard should be by soon I haul off and chat with a family that’s hanging out on course. Sure enough in about 20 mins you can hear them filling down the mountain with the Kona boys in a nice lil pack. AND FAST!! Wicked portion of the course, scarcely treed, super buff trails, wicked fast!! I really want to be racing but alas…

I pick my way through the spaces between riders to get back to base, stopping to shoot photos that wont turn out.LOL!! Stopping and warning riders of what’s ahead, doing a small part. Mical and Jeff smoke past and give a hoot again, so funny! Mash my way down so as not to be in the way and rip down the road big and small!! Love it!! Waving off the marshals to make sure they don’t stop traffic for me. Hit the van, no Susan, not literally, and have a pop while I wait for my boys.

Logan and James come through, Lee Blaise, a couple other riders that the boys are usually around so I make my rounds to chat with some of the folks I have come to know and Logan informs me Robin had a chain jump spoke side and they past him long ago…..F*@K!! So now I know in relation to the leaders a ball park time they should be finishing and they are around that time now. I am starting to get a lil rattled as the leaders came through 25mins ago. Then I can see them slamming down the road to the finish and I see Jamie pumping like a downhiller/ he crosses the line and I look at his bike, well Robin wasn’t the only mechanical. Jamie, not satisfied with the hell of pulling Robins chain outta the spokes, proceeded to sheer off the hanger and derailleur en mass! Now anyone who knows the Trek Top Fuel knows that a)- it’s a burly complicated hanger. And b)- It’s a pain in the hoohoo find and replace, especially in Gibsons. No worry, the day coulda been a dnf day but they made it out still in second place for the day and race. Good on ya, hell of an effort without snapping!! No time to fook around here, trying to get off the rock and out to whistler…..but no, missed the 105 and the next one is at 325! That sux!! Hurry up and wait. Its all good, whistler for 3 days so no worries. Do the see to sky and get to Robs place in Creekside and just chill, wash the bike, set up the Cannondale for Jamie and try and get these blogs down so when I do get wifi…..biggidybam!! lol. Well its 11, I have 300 pics to go through and a 6am wake up, so I sign off for this evening, hoping you all get to read some if I can get out of the bush long enough!!! Lol

Night
r

No comments:

Post a Comment