Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BCBR DAY 3


Day 3 starts out with The Boys having to pack up from a nice spot just to go out and sweat and get filthy like boys playing in the sandbox. Leaving Parksville for Cumberland nice and early on 3hrs of sleep....well me anyway, The Boys slept great!! All loaded and ready for a stop to see Ole Nat Bailey at white spot for more fuel. On a side note I've never had this much fuel in years so The Boys are great for this young pup!! A small accident with one of the teams made Jamie nervous about the start but no worries, t'was all good. Cumberland is such a great place for an event like this. They handed over the whole park and surrounding parking areas and nobody really cared. Great set up by the volunteers again. I really can't say enough about how hard a job they have and they are doing great.

Today takes the guys up to Forbidden Plateau and all over hells half acre!! 60 km of mm mm good singletrack. And the weather was oh so perfect. Clean start right up Dunsmuir and off into the woods to play. I sat around taking a few more shots and as they are looping today I get to go for a freaking ride!!! Rip back to " Red Hot" to unload my gear....yes, my gear. Get changed, grab camera, some gear and mangey water from the cooler and im gonzo! Following the race course backwards with a smile so big its hitting my earlobes and im so jealous that im not racing ....mind you I would probably die so not all that jealous. Climbed up some rooty, gnarly track for about an hour and ran into Katie who was one of the marshalls who was just being deposited at her spot. We discussed Cumberland vs Victoria pros and cons and how good Matt Phillips beer is and that she really wants some more of the pumpkin ale. That was enough chitchat as I hadn't donned my helmet for 3 days!! UGH. So i peel off and get the rpms up, riding bridges and hopping roots....so good out here. Looking at my watch reveals a stopwatch time of 2:30 so I know Seamus and Chris must be ripping past me soon. I high tail it outta there and start a foul fire road up. Hearing one of the motos I know they are close....and none other then Steve Mitchell tears past me letting me know they are on there way. I pulled off to the ditch and got some shots of the open men class, which is not many as they are f'n fast. Now that the racers are starting to filter in around me I make my way down, stopping to shoot, making sure i am not on the way. After Tea Cup I meet up with the last med check and chat with them for a while as well. I said i don't wanna get in the way so they tell me to follow the logging road down and it will take you back to dunsmuir. What they didnt tell me is that it takes you to the highway about 15k from "the turn off" to dunsmuir. Time was getting tight as The Boys would be landing soon and they still needed their cho-mo. Big and small the whole way as hard as could to ensure that I got there...even though I had no real idea were there was!! EEK, panic. But, it all ended well. Got the goods, made it to the van, peeled off my gear got as pretty as i can get and moved the van by the shower for a rapid evac to the boat apres stage!

They finished with Logan and James, who I think should get a time bonus for the use of a Lucky Jersey!! As of 10:15 theres no results. we are hoping to crawl back some time from the "Easters"! No shower, need the boat or we wait an extra 4 hrs.......*screech*. halfway down the road teh strap on the rac k readjust to compensate for the weight of Mary as she needed some air. Strap fixed and motoring. Huge traffic but not to fret.
The seas parted and all was good. We get to the booth at the terminal and ask " are we solid for the 3:15? " and her respnose was " I hope so?" LOL. Gotta love Bc Ferries!! ( insert bad word here ) We did and landed in Powell river safely.

Cool ass old school hotel with the external doors up the gnarliest driveway ever. I was stoked because their was a hose so i could give the steeds a proper bath. After all its what they deserve. The boys rest up as I do some cleaning and fixing. Jamie busted his rear shock remote off so open rear the rest of the way...lol! This place was so awesome, hose, view and the manager even offered to wash the riding gear. Don't think she knew what she was getting into!! Kudos Madamme, Kudos! Then jsut some food and r+r and here I sit. My boys in bed and just relfecting on the day.

I rode so it was a great day.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment